- Analyze and develop a 4-year plan to: Improve standardized test scores in reading, language arts, and math; graduate high school and enroll in higher learning institution the fall term following graduation;
- Understand pre-college preparation by attending a series of informational and interactive workshops covering: College entrance test preparedness, financial aid, A – G high school requirements; and
- Maintain community ties with service area schools through community service and referrals to programs available at MSJC.
Upward Bound Mission Statement
The purpose of the Upward Bound Project (UB) is to identify eligible youths who are from low-income and potential first-generation college students. UB will encourage project participants to remain and complete high school while setting higher standards for a college education. Furthermore, UB will provide the necessary tools to prepare students to enroll and succeed in college.
Students in Upward Bound at Mt. San Jacinto College will be encouraged to:
- Develop and improve academic skills;
- Successfully graduate from high school and enroll in postsecondary education;
- Explore and develop career choices; and
- Be motivated to reach their educational goals.
History of Upward Bound
Upward Bound Projects began in 1964 and have been funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Federal TRiO programs. About 872,032 low income Americans have been served through TRiO programs nationwide.
The first Upward Bound 5 Year Grant Cycle was awarded on 09/01/2003 and ended on 08/31/2008 with annual funds of $250,000. We are currently in our fourth Grant Cycle which was awarded on 09/01/2017 and will end 08/31/2022 with $257,500.00 annual funds.
Upward Bound maintains and recruits 52 participants from San Jacinto High School.
We at Upward Bound are dedicated to help students reach their educational goals and together we will make them a reality!
- Students must be a ninth (9th) or tenth (10th) grade student at San Jacinto High School;
- Be the first individual in the family to attend college;
- Show low-income verification;
- Obtain four (4) letters of recommendation from the following individuals: Teachers/counselors (math, science, English or foreign languages); and
- At least a 2.50 grade point average.
Upward Bound is 100% federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education, and is part of the TRiO Programs. Two-thirds of the applicants selected must be low-income and/or first generation college students (This means that neither parent has graduated from a four-year university).
Admission into the Mt. San Jacinto College Upward Bound program is open to those who meet eligibility criteria, regardless of gender, race, national origin, color, age, religion or disability.
For more information about the Upward Bound Program contact: