Financial Aid

Learning Outcomes

  • Demonstrate the ability to inquire and comprehend financial aid processes through technology, face-to-face contact, and publications;
  • Demonstrate academic success by taking personal ownership in their educational planning and knowledge of financial aid requirements, policies and procedures;
  • Identify inhibiting factors (i.e., job skills, financial needs, etc.) by utilizing college and community resources

While Mt. San Jacinto College subscribes to and supports the philosophy that primary responsibility for funding college expenses rests with students and their families, the college recognizes that some students and/or their families have limited financial resources and are unable to meet all of the expenses associated with higher education without supplemental assistance.

To help accommodate these supplemental student needs, the college provides a variety of financial assistance through the Financial Aid Office in building 1150 on the San Jacinto Campus or the Financial Aid Office in building 100 on the Menifee Valley Campus.

Available services range from:

  1. administration of various Federal Financial Aid programs, including Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and Federal Work Study;
  2. State of California aid programs, including enrollment fee waivers through the California College Promise Grant (CCPG), Cal Grants, Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG), and California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth (Chafee);
  3. Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Tribal Grants; and
  4. Veterans Educational Benefits.


Financial aid funds come from appropriations made by the federal and state governments and through scholarship awards made by individuals and other public and private agencies and organizations. Hence, each of these funds must be administered according to different sets of policies, regulations, and/or specific requirements.

To apply for financial aid from Mt. San Jacinto College, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the CA Dream Act application (for undocumented students). The FAFSA is a multi-purpose form that is used to apply for federal aid as well as California Grants from the California Student Aid Commission. The FAFSA is available online at fafsa. The CA Dream Act application is available online at dream. Students are also required to file a grade-point average verification form with the California Student Aid Commission for a Cal Grant by March 2. Check with the Financial Aid Office for priority deadlines for the FAFSA and the CA Dream Act application.

Student Eligibility

Policies relating to federal admission and academic progress of the college are described in this edition of the college catalog. Financial aid administered or approved by Mt. San Jacinto College under Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work Study (FWS) or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is based on the student meeting the following conditions:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • Be registered with Selective Service (if required);
  • Have a valid Social Security Number;
  • Be working toward a degree or certificate;
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress;
  • Not owe a refund on a Federal grant or be in default on a Federal educational loan;
  • Have “financial need” as determined in part by submitting the FAFSA;

Federal Student Aid (FSA) Regulations designate the amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited by a new federal law to be the equivalent of six (6) years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student may receive each year is equal to 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%. This Federal Regulation is not appealable.

To be eligible for California grants, you must:

  • Be a resident of California or be eligible for AB540, California Non-resident Tuition Exemption; and
  • Have “financial need” based on the criteria for the California College Promise Grant or Cal Grant Program.

Additional information about financial aid is available on the Mt. San Jacinto College Financial Aid website at Financial Aid and in the Financial Aid office on both campuses.

MSJC Standards of Satisfactory Progress for Financial Aid Eligibility

This policy has been developed for students receiving Federal Financial Aid to assist in academic planning and success. Federal regulations require a student to move toward the completion of a degree or certificate when receiving financial aid.

Federal regulations state that Academic Progress Standards must include a review of periods of enrollment in which the student did not receive aid as well as the semesters they did receive aid. All students receiving Financial Aid will be expected to meet standards for academic progress each semester and complete a degree or certificate program within 150% of the published unit requirements for the chosen program of study.

At Mt. San Jacinto College, the limit is seventy-two (72) units for most programs. Information regarding the standards the student must maintain to be making satisfactory academic progress at Mt. San Jacinto College is available in the Financial Aid Office on the San Jacinto or Menifee Valley campuses or on the Mt. San Jacinto College website.

Financial Aid Refund/Repayment Policy

Federal Law requires students who receive federal Title IV aid and leave school before completing 60% of the term will be required to pay back some or all of the aid received. Information regarding any return of federal Title IV financial aid funds as required by regulations is available from the Financial Aid Offices at the San Jacinto and Menifee Valley campuses and on the MSJC Financial Aid website.

Federal Law also requires that students who received federal Title IV aid and drop classes will be required to pay back some of the aid received. Information regarding reduced enrollment as required by regulations is also available at the Financial Aid Offices at the San Jacinto and Menifee Valley campuses and on the Mt. San Jacinto College Financial Aid website at Financial Aid.