Industry Recognized Credentials

Students interested in Credit for Prior Learning using industry recognized credential(s) shall receive credit as recommended by the appropriate department chair or faculty designee. Enrollment services shall grant credit for industry recognized credential(s) that have already been evaluated and approved by the appropriate department chair or faculty designee.

If an industry recognized credential has not yet been evaluated and approved by the appropriate faculty:

  • The student meets with the department chair or faculty designee to receive further instructions for industry recognized credential(s) assessment
  • The student submits all industry recognized credential documents to the department chair or faculty designee for assessment of prior learning
  • If the department chair or faculty designee determine the industry certification adequately measures mastery of the course content as set forth in the Course Outline of Record, the appropriate faculty shall sign the petition with the recorded grade, attach the industry recognized credential(s), and forward the completed petition and supporting documents to the Enrollment Services Office to be kept on file and recorded on the student transcript
  • MSJC enforces the completion of a 12 units of credit minimum for residency and these 12 units of credit must be taken at MSJC and must be on the transcript prior to any other credit being posted. Evaluation of other transcripts can occur without residency at MSJC.

Currently approved industry recognized credentials that earn credit for prior learning include the following:

1. LAW ENFORCEMENT: Students may submit a Credit for Prior Learning Petition form to enrollment services to substitute credit for completion of a P.O.S.T. Basic Peace Officers Academy through an accredited institution. Students must attach official college transcripts and an Academy course outline or syllabus to the student petition. The Administration of Justice department chair will determine the amount of credit to award the student. Transfer credit shall only be approved subject to the student providing appropriate and adequate documentation of the courses under consideration.

2. NURSING CREDIT: Diploma school registered nurse graduates licensed in California may receive 30 units of nursing credit and must complete 36 units of general education and science requirements (with a minimum of 12 units of residency) for an Associate in Science – Registered Nurse degree. Students must attach official transcripts to the student petition. The Nursing Department chair will determine whether credits can be awarded student.