Reciprocity - Course Substitution

Transcripted coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities may be recognized by Mt. San Jacinto College. A combined maximum of 30 semester units of credit and up to 40 units by petition for special circumstances may be recognized by MSJC as elective credit unless evaluated to meet other requirements at MSJC or for transfer if allowed. MSJC enforces the completion of a 12 units of credit minimum for residency. These 12 units of credit must be taken at MSJC and must be on the transcript prior to any other credit being posted. Evaluation of other transcripts can occur without residency at MSJC.

The district shall permit the waiver or substitution of courses required for completion of an associate in arts or associate in science degree or a program certificate, providing the district does not offer the required course on a regular basis and the student passes a comparable course at MSJC; or providing the student submits evidence that a course taken at another college with acceptable regional accreditation is comparable to the course required at MSJC or has the same C-ID approved status or alternative approval on an Associate Degree for Transfer degree.

MSJC accepts coursework from the following: 

  1. Regionally Accredited colleges and universities – California
    1. Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
    2. Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
    3. Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) (California and some out of state institutions)

  2. Regionally Accredited colleges and universities – Out-of-State
    1. Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
    2. New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)
    3. The Higher Learning Commission (HLC), formerly North Central Association of Colleges and Schools 
    4. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
    5. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)

Upper Division Coursework 

Upper division coursework will be recognized by MSJC after the 12 unit residency has been met at MSJC according to the following:

  1. An awarded BA/BS degree from a U.S. Regionally Accredited institution will waive all local General Education requirements (A – H) using Option A at MSJC.
    1. MSJC can accept upper division coursework completed at another institution for the purpose of fulfilling local General Education or major and/or elective requirements based on content equivalency.
      1. Coursework must be completed at a United States regionally accredited institution
      2. Students must submit official transcripts
  2. MSJC will evaluate as much upper division coursework as acceptable via CSU and UC guidelines for CSU General Education (per EO 1100) and IGETC (IGETC Standards) to allow for an Associates Degree or an Associates Degree for Transfer to be awarded at MSJC using Options B and C.
    1. Coursework must be completed at a United States regionally accredited institution
    2. Students must submit official transcripts
  3. An awarded BA/BS degree from a U.S. Regionally Accredited institution will waive all local General Education requirements, however, because a student would be considered a 2nd baccalaureate candidate, many if not most universities (CSU and UC) would admit on an individual basis only and all Associates Degree or Associates Degree for Transfer benefits from a California Community College will not be guaranteed.

Foreign Transcripts

Foreign Transcripts with official evaluations from a NACES member organization will be evaluated and used to clear equivalent course content or general education requirements according to the following: 

1. A current list of approved foreign transcript evaluation agencies may be obtained in Enrollment Services. Students must provide all resources and reports regarding these transcripts in order for MSJC to evaluate and award credit. 30 semester units of credit, and up to 40 units by petition.

Non-Regional Accredited Colleges and Universities

These types of colleges, traditionally trade/technical schools, must have National Accreditation with CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) and DOE (Department of Education) approvals

1. MSJC may accept a limited number of courses from non-regionally accredited institution. This is only a policy accepted at MSJC and may not be transferred to any other institution in California

2. Up to three courses with a maximum of 9 semester units of credit for Career Education comparable course content only as determined by MSJC Departmental faculty or Administration. Course content will be used in lieu of MSJC course content, credit and units will not be attached to an MSJC course, these courses will not be posted to the MSJC transcript nor will these courses be used for transfer units unless an MSJC Credit-by-Examination is successfully completed.

Notes about Course Reciprocity and Course Substitution 

MSJC cannot grant a course waiver or course substitution that is inconsistent with Education Code or Title 5 regulations nor can it ensure that a substitution granted by the college will be accepted by another institution. A student who believes that he/she has a legitimate request for a course waiver or substitution for a degree or certificate shall follow the process as set forth in the administrative procedure. Reference: Title 5, Sections 55606, 55808

In the interest of best serving students and establishing an efficient transfer route, the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges (ASCCC) encourages colleges to apply courses successfully completed as part of an ADT aligned degree at one college for requirements within their own degrees to the greatest extent deemed possible and reasonable (See ASCCC resolution 15.01 Spring 2011). While course substitution decisions remain a matter of local control, students often earn credit at multiple colleges during the course of their academic careers. The ASCCC strongly urges community colleges to establish policies to allow and encourage acceptance of the courses students have taken at other colleges. Where the substitution does not involve deeming two courses comparable, substitution decisions must be informed by the judgment of discipline faculty.