MSJC has established prerequisites and corequisites to ensure that students have the skill level necessary to succeed in a course. Before your online registration date, please check to see if your class has a prerequisite. Prerequisites must be cleared prior to enrollment. Plan ahead and take care of this as early as possible to avoid waiting in a long lines and possible delays to your enrollment in important classes.
Under very limited circumstances, a student may challenge either the legality of a prerequisite or the way in which the college has administered the prerequisites in their case. Forms are available through Enrollment Services. The grounds for challenge are limited to the following:
- If you believe you have the knowledge or ability to succeed in the course without completing the prerequisite.
- If you believe that the prerequisite has been established in violation of Title 5 regulations or the MSJC District Policy.
- If you believe that the prerequisite is discriminatory or is being applied in a discriminatory manner.
- If you believe that the prerequisite course has not been made reasonably available.
- Complete the MSJC Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form found through Enrollment Services.
- Provide all required documentation as noted below. Incomplete petitions will not be considered.
- Student statement/letter. Provide a letter that explains the reason(s) you are challenging the prerequisite or co-requisite and explicitly states the skills and abilities you have that meet the prerequisite/co-requisite requirement.
- Supporting documentation. Appropriate documentation should include any of the following: college transcripts as evidence of successful course completion, catalog course description, course outline and/or course syllabus, documentation of professional work experience, relevant high school transcripts, letters of recommendation from employers or instructors, samples of graded papers, professional licenses or certificates, a portfolio or a demonstration of prerequisite skill.
- Submit your Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form, along with appropriate documentation online. Challenges are reviewed by the appropriate faculty members and may take up to 5 working days (holidays and weekends excluded) to process, so please plan ahead.